During the routine vaccination consultation we will carry out a thorough health assessment of your pet. We will advise you of any preventative measures or life style changes that may be appropriate and we will address any medical, surgical or behavioural problems.
Specific health problems
If you are concerned about any aspect of your pets health or behaviour, our vets will carry out a clinical examination of your pet, and arrange a treatment plan to try to resolve the condition. We have a wide range of equipment available to assist with diagnosis.
We may use one or more of the following diagnostic procedures:
- Blood analysis – haematology and biochemistry.
- Digital radiography.
- Endoscopy – rigid and flexible.
- Neutering- cats and dogs and we also offer neutering for smaller pets like ferrets, rabbits, rats and guinea pigs.
- Orthopaedic operationseg fracture.
- Soft tissue surgeryeg lump removal, cystotomy, amputation, eye surgery,
We also have access to referral services such as MRI Scanning, hip replacements and cardiology specialists if appropriate.
At Okeford Veterinary Centre we have a dedicated nursing team of five registered qualified nurses and an auxiliary nurse whose roles include:
- The admitting and preparing of patients for surgical procedures.
- Blood sampling and intravenous catheter placement.
- Assisting the veterinary surgeon during surgery, monitoring of vital signs and post op monitoring.
- Assisting with radiography, ultrasound, endoscopy, dentistry.
- Sterilising and maintenance of surgical equipment.
- Nursing care of inpatients.
- Discharging patients post surgery and advising clients on nursing care at home.
- Dispensing of medication and assisting veterinary surgeons with consultations.
- Cleaning, this includes keeping the theatre clean and sterile environment for surgical procedures cleaning equipment, kennels wards and consulting rooms.
- Nurse clinics which include weight checks, microchipping, post op checks, suture removal and dressing changes.
A member of our nursing team is on duty 24 hours a day 365 days a year.