Okeford Veterinary Centre is an RCVS Accredited Practice.
The RCVS Practice Standards Scheme aims to promote the highest standards of veterinary care and regularly holds inspections for the practices allied with the scheme to ensure these standards are maintained.
A Small Animal Practice must meet all the core standards and general practice standards to become an Accredited Practice. These standards include:
- All veterinary surgeons and veterinary nurses working in the practice must be registered with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and be appropriately qualified.
- All staff must undertake Continuing Professional Development (CPD) to increase and maintain their knowledge.
- The Practice has a system in place to monitor and discuss the clinical outcome of cases and acting on the results.
- 24 hours emergency cover for the care of animals treated by the practice.
- An excellent level if hygiene is needed to minimise the risk of infection. Practices must be clean and well-maintained.
- The practice must provide facilities and adequate nursing staff for the care of any in-patients and in-patient facilities must be secure and of good condition.
- Diagnostic equipment must be well-maintained and good quality images must be produced for all patients treated. Health and safety must be strictly adhered to and personal safety monitored.
- Laboratory procedures must be undertaken by suitably trained staff in a clean, purpose built area.
- All medicinal products must be located in a clean and tidy location in accordance with manufaturers’ recommendations and appropriate records kept.
The practice must adhere strictly to current Health & Safety regulations to ensure the safety of staff, visitors and animals.